IEEE Code of Ethics
We, the members of the IEEE, in recognition of the importance of our technologies in affecting the quality of life throughout the world, and in accepting a personal obligation to our profession, its members, and the communities we serve, do hereby commit ourselves to the highest ethical and professional conduct and agree:
- to hold paramount the safety, health, and welfare of the public, to strive to comply with ethical design and sustainable development practices, and to disclose promptly factors that might endanger the public or the environment;
- to avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist;
- to be honest and realistic in stating claims or estimates based on available data;
- to reject bribery in all its forms;
- to improve the understanding by individuals and society of the capabilities and societal implications of conventional and emerging technologies, including intelligent systems;
- to maintain and improve our technical competence and to undertake technological tasks for others only if qualified by training or experience, or after full disclosure of pertinent limitations;
- to seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge and correct errors, and to credit properly the contributions of others;
- to treat fairly all persons and to not engage in acts of discrimination based on race, religion, gender, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression;
- to avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action;
- to assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and to support them in following this code of ethics.
Changes to the IEEE Code of Ethics will be made only after the following conditions are met:
- Proposed changes shall have been published in THE INSTITUTE at least three (3) months in advance of final consideration by the Board of Directors, with a request for comment, and
- All IEEE Major Boards shall have the opportunity to discuss proposed changes prior to final action by the Board of Directors, and
- An affirmative vote of two-thirds of the votes of the members of the Board of Directors present at the time of the vote, provided a quorum is present, shall be required for changes to be made.
IEEE Code of Conduct
IEEE BIOCAS 2022 is committed to providing an inclusive and harassment-free environment in all interactions regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, or religion. This commitment extends to all IEEE BIOCAS 2022 sponsored events and services (webinars, committee meetings, networking functions, online forums, chat rooms, and social media) and any interaction regardless of affiliation or position. As a community that aims to share ideas and freedom of thought and expression, it is essential that the interaction between attendees take place in an environment that recognizes the inherent worth of every person by being respectful of all. IEEE BIOCAS 2022 does not tolerate harassment in any form. Harassment is any form of behavior intended to exclude, intimidate, or cause discomfort. Harassment includes, but is not limited to, the use of abusive or degrading language, intimidation, stalking, harassing photography or recording, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Anyone who experiences, observes, or has knowledge of threatening behavior is encouraged to immediately report the incident to the Conference Manager. All information shared will be kept confidential. In cases where a public response is deemed necessary, the identities of victims and reporters will remain confidential unless those individuals consent otherwise.
IEEE BIOCAS 2022 reserves the right to take appropriate action to foster an inclusive and respectful environment. Attendees violating these rules may be asked to leave the conference without a refund, at the sole discretion of the conference organizers. In addition, attendees are subject to the IEEE Code of Ethics.
Please contact the Conference Manager if you experience, observe, or have knowledge of behavior in violation of the Code of Conduct.
Please contact the Conference Manager with any questions about the Code of Conduct and Inclusivity & Diversity at IEEE BIOCAS 2022.
Event Conduct and Safety Statement
IEEE believes that science, technology, and engineering are fundamental human activities, for which openness, international collaboration, and the free flow of talent and ideas are essential. Its meetings, conferences, and other events seek to enable engaging, thought provoking conversations that support IEEE’s core mission of advancing technology for humanity. Accordingly, IEEE is committed to providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment to all participants, including staff and vendors, at IEEE-related events.
IEEE has no tolerance for discrimination, harassment, or bullying in any form at IEEE-related events. All participants have the right to pursue shared interests without harassment or discrimination in an environment that supports diversity and inclusion.
Participants are expected to adhere to these principles and respect the rights of others. IEEE seeks to provide a secure environment at its events. Participants should report any behavior inconsistent with the principles outlined here, to on site staff, security or venue personnel, or to email@example.com.
IEEE Non-discrimination Policy
IEEE prohibits Discrimination, Harassment and Bullying against any person for any reason, for example, because of age, ancestry, color, disability or handicap, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual or affectional orientation, gender identity, appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. IEEE employees, volunteers, members, and other constituents of the IEEE, when and wherever those individuals are conducting IEEE business or participating in IEEE events or activities, shall maintain an environment free of Discrimination, including Harassment, Bullying, and Retaliation. Discrimination or harassment of BIOCAS 2022 participants will not be condoned or tolerated in any form. Conference participants violating this rule may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference committee.
See IEEE Policies, Section 9.26 - IEEE Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment (PDF, 45 KB) for the complete Policy.